Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Evelyn

On Sunday, Grace lost her great-grandmother, and her namesake, Evelyn.

I remember going to my grandma's house and staying overnight with my two brothers, all sleeping on the floor between two unzipped sleeping bags.  We were always accompanied by grandma's two dachshunds Missy and Gretchen.

My mom must have got all her cooking skills from her mom because I can still taste the pot roasts and the Thanksgiving turkeys.

And I remember all the Christmas visits, exchanging gifts, and going to the garage to get an ice cold Pepsi out of the freezer.


I remember jumping over the flower bed off the front porch of her house.   When I was little, it would take a running start, and felt like quite a feat, but I could probably walk over it now.

I remember our shared love of the San Francisco Giants, and all those frustrating games and seasons, finally being able to enjoy two World Championships together.  When I was a boy, I had bought a helmet at Candlestick Park, and on the way home, for some reason, I held the helmet outside the car window.   The wind took it right out of my hand and the the helmet shattered underneath the car behind us.   I was shattered as well, but within a week, I received a new helmet in the mail, thanks to Grandma Evelyn.

Grace Evelyn never got to meet Great Grandma Evelyn, but my grandma knew that she had someone in the family carrying on her name, and I'm sure that made her happy.

It will be my responsibility to tell Grace all about her and to one day hand down this quilt that grandma made in 1994.



We love you Grandma!

4 comments:

  1. What a special tribute to your Grandma, Darren! We hold on to those special memories. I am glad you knew your grandparents and can remember those special times....Thanks....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry for your loss. She sounds like a fun and loving grandma. Your children will enjoy hearing those memory stories and learn to love her too. Thanks for sharing some on here. Blessings on your healing heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful tribute! You were blessed by your grandma, Darren.
    Love, Aunt Dee

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry for your loss Darren. It sounds like you were very blessed with that special love only grandparents can give. God Bless your grandma and all grandma's!
    xo, Texan

    ReplyDelete