Friday, June 1, 2012

Calendar Girl

Grace is a true New Yorker.  She sleeps little and enjoys good music, fine cuisine and high fashion. And her schedule, fuggedaboutit.... it is right up there with the hustle and bustle of The Big Apple.  

But The Gracer is an overachiever.  And her early intervention schedule of 2 physical therapy, 2 occupational therapy and 2 speech therapy appointments per week, while trying to fake her way through two naps a day, was just not quite fast-paced enough.  At her IFSP (individual family service plan) meeting on Wednesday, they added an additional physical therapy appointment and 2 special instruction appointments.  

We're so grateful for the early intervention programming in New York, and we'll grumble a lot less next April 15 when we're told we owe state taxes.   (Darren corrected me - we'll grumble a little less)  

The schedule is full, and at times feels like a lot for a little munchkin.  But the gains we've seen from this program are staggering, and the tools they are giving Grace, and us, are invaluable.  Grace often complains towards the end of the physical sessions, when her endurance is at its limit and she's tuckered out.  However, each time any one of her amazing therapy team walks through the door, she beams her Gracer smile and reaches her arms up ready to go again.  

When we told Grace that they granted her some additional sessions, she immediately pulled out her planner.  


As she reviewed the number of appointments she will have this coming month (somewhere around 40), the reality sunk in.  What about the swings?  Music classes at Gigi's?  Not to mention the zoo?

I'm sure no one will notice if I crayon-in a trip to the swimming pool.

Rest assured, lil' socialite, we'll have plenty of time for fun.  Remember you're in the city that never sleeps.

Just please stop taking that literally.

6 comments:

  1. I love, I love, I love my calendar girl....except I could have gone without the 4:40 a.m. wakeup chatter this morning. Now back in Pennsylvania and hoping Greenpa doesn't start his morning chatter before 7:30. And...we need to have a serious talk about those non-naps.

    xoxoGrammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grace, how sweet it is.....mark in your planner all the great things you like to do 1st...the rest will fall into place and then you can rest, oh yea your folks can too...love you little one....you are a trooper...for sure...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grandpa R. in CaliforniaJune 2, 2012 at 11:08 AM

    Hi God's gift of Grace. You are learning an important lesson on life. There are sometimes temporary set backs in order to gain lasting results. (I will explain this to you when you are 18). Enjoy mommy and daddy this weekend. Jesus loves you and I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy cow! She's looking so very grown up nowadays... :) And of course, as gorgeous as ever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We complain less at tax time too.

    Between Colin and Ben we only have 4 free weekdays this month so we understand about busy schedules for little kids. I often joke that being Ben's chauffeur is a part time job!

    Ben has slept through 2 of the last 3 nights. We are HOPING this keeps up!

    ReplyDelete