Monday, November 5, 2012

Tunnel Vision

When it comes to prenatal counseling by doctors and genetic counselors, it is clear that many of these medical professionals have tunnel vision.  There is a lot of outdated information being shared.  These outdated misconceptions of what it means to raise a child with Down syndrome unfortunately are often the foundation on which expecting couples make decisions regarding their future and the future of the babe in their bellies. 

Earlier this year, I had written about wanting to find a way to help educate the medical community with up to date information about what it means to have Down syndrome.  Well, a way has been paved and you can now help!


Am I biased?  Absolutely - just look at this face!  But regardless, don't you want your doctors guiding you with accurate, current information on all issues?  Aside from our experience with the insensitive chocolate-eating doctor, we were greeted by most of our doctors with pity or a long list of potential medical issues that never came to be..   Only a few armed us with actual facts that proved useful in our preparation.


As Grace will surely show you, when it comes to her potential, the sky's the limit.


Thanks to our blogging friends over at Confessions of the Chromosomally Enhanced (which by the way, if you've never visited, I highly recommend!) we've been made aware of a petition.  Dr. Julia Kinder, family physician and mom to Ella, an 8-year-old who happens to have Down syndrome, has created a petition that you can sign to help make it a requirement that all medical students receive up-to-date, accurate information about individuals with Down syndrome.  She needs 4000 signatures - won't you consider being one of them?  Please click HERE to sign the petition.


Thank you for helping break through the tunnel vision and opening up the minds of the medical community!

6 comments:

  1. Hey! Thank YOU so much for helping to spread the word. You did so with much less blabbering than I did - when I get going on an issue I'm passionate about, I tend to become very long-winded :-/ Grace is BEAUTIFUL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grace - your Mommy is awesome! Tour Mommy and Daddy love you so much! You look like you were having fun crawling in that tunnel....You are so easy to love...xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grandpa R. in CaliforniaNovember 5, 2012 at 10:58 PM

    Hi God's gift of Grace. There were lots of flooded New York tunnels recently. I have just seen another one but this tunnel was flooded with precious Grace. You bless my life. Jesus loves you and I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Signed!!
    love you gracie.
    A.J.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bravo Jenni!! Thank you for giving me the privilege to vote for something and the someones I love.
    xoxoxoxo, Aunt Dee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Grace, thanks for posing for such a good cause....you are so adorable. xoxox k&J

    ReplyDelete