Yesterday, a jury awarded a couple $3 million for a wrongful birth suit, because their prenatal genetic tests came back negative, yet their child was born with Down syndrome.
The parents testified that while they love their now 4-year old daughter, they would have terminated the pregnancy had the test been accurate, and they are now trying to secure money to take care of her now and in the future. Do they think their daughter and 2 older children won’t understand this?! The kicker – the jury took only 6 hours to award the money.
This story has brought up a ton of emotions in me, some I’m not proud of. I am trying (unsuccessfully) not to judge. I am trying to imagine how much harder it might be to raise Grace if we didn’t have the strong family support we have. If we didn’t have the flexibility in our work to allow us time to be present at the many doctor and therapy appointments. If we didn’t have good health insurance. If we had significant debt.
The topics that culminate in this lawsuit are loaded. But one that has come up a lot recently in the news and on blogs is that of prenatal testing. And there are strong opinions out there.
I personally am not against prenatal testing. I think it can have value in allowing you to plan. While we didn’t have a definitive prenatal test, we did have many tests that pointed to Down syndrome, and many others that defined Grace’s heart defect. These tests made for a stressful pregnancy sometimes, but they also allowed us time to find the right surgeon to do Grace’s heart surgery. And after learning of the intricacies involved in her repair, that planning time was possibly life changing for all of us.
I’m not convinced the answer is to try to get rid of the testing, if that were even possible. I’m not convinced shouting my opinion on the internet is the answer either.
I do think the answer is, at least in part, education. Education not only of couples who don’t know all their options and possibilities, but even more so of the medical team advising them. Those couples that have strong opinions as to keeping or terminating the pregnancy based on a prenatal test will likely go unchanged. But there are a number in the middle, who are relying on what their doctors tell them in order to help make a decision. And when you’re pregnant and hormonal, and a doctor is advising you to quickly make a decision , it can be confusing and you can get caught up in the stress and timeliness of it all.
When our nuchal translucency test came back positive for a 1 in 5 chance that Grace had DS, we were advised “to do a CVS that night so that we could have an answer the next day so we can quickly make a decision/arrangements”. This was said by a doctor casually eating chocolate while talking to us. We were not given any literature or resources on what it might mean to have a child with Down syndrome, we were just told that we needed to move quickly.
While I had not planned or wanted to use this blog as a platform, I’m having a hard time not to in this circumstance. I think we as a community have an opportunity to make a change, but not through anger and forced opinions. Not through just preaching to the choir and patting each other on the back. But through example, and education.
I’m not sure how much training in the reality of life with Down syndrome that doctors and genetic counselors get. But maybe, if we volunteered to speak to a class, or to be a resource for or share our blogs with maternal/fetal clinics whose patients may be facing the possibility of a child with Ds, or to host a medical student or genetic counseling student for a day, so they could see a day in the life... just maybe we could start to help doctors and counselors know better how to show these scared couples all of their options objectively and with equal weight. Are you up to the challenge?
The truth is, having a child with Down syndrome is challenging, and can be at times heartbreaking and scary, and can be financially challenging and time consuming. It can also be rewarding, and joyful, and normal. You could easily take the words “with Down syndrome” out of that sentence though, because no child’s path is guaranteed to be perfect at all times. And sometimes, most times, it's the imperfections that make it all the more perfect.

The statement I am about to make is one I've known for quite some time. However, this post has just reinforced it. "Grace is a gift that God gave to the perfect parents." May God continue to bless you always.
ReplyDeleteJenni, I say...AMEN to your Blog of today especially...The information you have set forth, I think would help all parents and would give insight to new DS parents or to be parents of a DS child. Grace is such a blessing, to all that know of her and love her. Because you choice to bring her into our world, I bless and praise you both as parents as you have brought FAITH & JOY to all that love her and love you as her parents, God knows what He is doing and who he blesses with His special children...God Bless you both.....xoxoxo for Grace...Love to you all..K&J
ReplyDeleteDear God'd gift of Grace,
DeleteYour mother and father are wonderful. I agree with everything your mother just posted. Thank God you were born to them! God has blessed your parents with love for Him, love for each other, and love for their precious Gracer, and with the resources necessary to give you the best life possible. God blessed you with them and he blessed them with you. Grace, to know you is to love you. Grandma R. and I know you and we love you. Jesus loves you too. See you in May.
I just read about this case earlier today and I felt very disturbed by the results. I think you are absolutely right in that we have to help the medical community by showing them that Ds is okay. My OB was so supportive of me but she has a fellow OB with a child with Ds and her daughter had a classmate with Ds so she already knew the upside of a Ds diagnosis. I wonder if we could somehow bring more attention to the blogs that share about adults with Ds. I know they give me hope that Ben is going to be okay. Yes, it will be challenging but it will be okay!
ReplyDeleteamen sister. This is exactly what I am planning to do..and I just wrote a post about it earlier in the week. Complaining that things need to be changed isn't getting anyone anywhere. We have to become the change we want to see, which means getting off of our duffs and offering ourselves...whether it involves our time, our knowledge or simply the callings of our hearts........
ReplyDeleteI love Grace and your blog post. Thanks for being the person you are on the planet
ReplyDeleteWell put!
ReplyDeleteJenni,
ReplyDeleteFirst of all you & Darren have been incredibly blessed with the gift of Grace & now being able to share your experience with other DS families. Secondly, I would like to just throw this out there since things occasionally get blown out of proportion in the name of sensationalism or just to bolster a case; Do you think maybe the Levy family were just told to say that had they had accurate prenatal testing that indicated they had a ds baby or any other issue that they would have terminated the pregnancy? I just can't imagine how a mother could look at her child, any child, after making a statement like that & feel right about anything in her life. Unfortunately, I have seen this happen up close & personal in my job, thank God it is a rarity. I always wonder about those families & what happens as a result of the parents feeling somehow inconvenienced by any imperfection. Like you said the Levy's other children will also be affected if they haven't been already. Thank you for your positive attitude & being an advocate not only for your precious Grace but for all the other DS families who will benefit. Thanks also, for all the great posts from you & Darren, it is often the thing that makes a bad day good for me! Love to you all.
Barb
xoxo
AMEN is the first word that came to me, too! Well put, Jenni.
ReplyDeleteGrace and you, Jenni, put such smiles on my face. I'm so glad I have you for my NYC family. Grace's beauty inside and out gives my children and myself such joy. We are indeed lucky to have her in our life!
Of course I already knew that I was also lucky to have you in my life as an amazing friend.
Your words here in your blog have made me laugh, cry, and Aol-- that is, Amen Out Loud!
:)
Thank you for your wise words, your compelling challenge to us all-
Grace is a gift. Thank God for her!
God bless you three.
xoxoxo, familia duran
Jenni, I love you.
ReplyDeleteAunt Dee