Wednesday, August 24, 2011

On the Road Again

It's Wednesday in Graceland, and we're packing up the mules once again and heading north.   About 500 yards down the hall to the step down unit. She put on a new set of leg warmers for the occasion.

Grace slept well overnight, and the doctors felt like her condition was not intensive care unit material, which is great.   The plan now is to slowly wean her off her IV diuretic meds and transfer them into oral form, which she will likely need for awhile after she gets home.

She is also still on oxygen, but at one of the lowest settings, and they hope to wean her off that completely in the next 24 hours, which will finally free up her tiny nostrils, and end her constant struggle to tug it out.

We want them to take things one at a time, so if there is a change, we'll know what causes it.   It should take two or three days to do all of that.

Grace looks great, and offers up her bright smile more than ever.  We know better than to think we are out of the woods, but we can see the clearing up ahead, and we're driving in the right direction.  You can see why we're encouraged:



20 comments:

  1. Gracer, you couldn't possibly be any more adorable!!! We are so proud of you for withstanding all of this, all the while taking it with such, well.... such GRACE! We are right here with you, and continue to stand by with every update, our hearts so full of love for you and your family. (even the "crazy lady in the phillies shirt"!) :)

    Keep it up, sweet baby Grace! You don't know it yet, but you are an INSPIRATION to so, so many.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baby Girl Grace, you inspire us all with your fighting courage and your spirit. You are so adorable. God Bless you little one, continue to progress with grace as only you can do sweet Grace. We are fighting for you through Prayer...By the way your latest media blast is fantastic, thanks Mom & Dad for keeping us all up to date, so good to see Grace talk....love it...Kay & Jim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Purple looks great on you kiddo...keep up the good healing work!!!
    Love, A.J.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome news! I hope things continue down this path and I love the video! You go little Miss Grace. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent news! 500 yards is a very small step but a giant leap for Grace - I think that sounds dangerously close to something Neil Armstrong once said! No doubt this small step forward for Grace probably feels just as momentus at this point...

    With much love

    Trashstar
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Grace you have the voice of a star! You'll be ready for America's Got Talent in no time. Thanks for the video...it's awesome to see her doing to well after such a scary start to the week. Love, Peggy Helm

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh beautiful baby, you are rocking those baby legs! You'll be home before you know it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. bright-eyed and beautiful! keep it up, gracie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love to see that big smile! xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  10. so good to see that beautiful smile on her face... those leg warmers my be my favorite so far! keep shining, cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Grandma R says, "Looks like Grace is warming up for the Rockettes - what darling legs and I think I heard her sing right on key. New York is just around the corner - here she comes." I know she feels better and Mommy and Daddy do also.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the smile, the video, the leg warmers, you made my day!! Praying for a safe journey down the hall & out the door!
    xoxo
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG. Such a happy dance. I meant mine! Thinking of you all and thrilled with the daily updates and to see Grace all squiggly! You're in my daily thoughts and I'm grateful for this blog.
    Grace is a trooper and its clear she's from a long line. Huzzah!
    love to all.
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  14. She is clearly a dancer and she looks fantastic! Let us know when you will be back in NYC and I will have dinner waiting for you all. Lots and lots of love Kate Dun

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Precious Gracie Grace, you are AMAZING! You and mommy and daddy have been through so much. I see your little ouies in the pictures and think that you deserve all the different colors and shapes and sizes of band-aids that you want. I know how much you loved your pink flamingo ones. Just give you a day of feeling better and the next Top American Model you instantly become. Keep hanging in there following those doctor's orders. Feel free though to give a few of your own if necessary. It feels as if you could be on the homeward stretch and remember that when you do get home, after all that you have been through, you can ask for anything that you want and I just know that mommy and daddy will get it for you. There's only one thing Precious Grace. NO ROLLER COASTERS! Everything eles is fair game after all that you have experienced.

    Much love. Gentle squeezes. Many prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fantastic! What a lovely voice. Continued healing and peace!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lots of Love Gracie. Looking good. Made a wish on the first star I saw for you.
    Londonder

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sending lots of love to Gracie, and you both. Im taking deep breaths for you both. Wow what an inspiration she is with that bright smile. Love you all and hoping to see you all real soon.

    xo Pam

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dear Jenni,
    This is the first time I've met sweet Grace since your "mother dearest" didn't send me your blog! I was with Susie and MHJ today and Susie sent it to me. Miss Grace is a doll baby! And,
    though I've never seen your husband, she is a Kuhn!! Congratulations to you both. My prayers and thoughts are with Grace and your family (except grandmother dearest!!) Shannon

    ReplyDelete