Well, we let our guard down. We should have known that part of the initiation of Parent of a Heart Warrior is to break you down to the point that all you have to hold you up is your belief in greater powers at work and the love of those around you. I guess in order to properly parent these amazingly strong souls, you need to lead by example and exercise your own souls. This weekend was our basic training.
As you know, we moved back to the CICU yesterday. The move itself was a rough one because Grace cried - hard - and continually pulled her oxygen out of her nose the entire transition down the hall. While they were setting her up on the ICU monitors, she cried hard and long enough to turn a nice shade of blue. This coloring was fleeting, but was obviously unsettling. Somehow, from that walk to the CICU, she turned into a really sick kid. We knew this was the case, but she looked it. She was puffy like she had been blown up with helium, she was so pale and mottled, and she just didn't look well. From that point on, it seemed like we have been on a crazy ride of ups and downs. Just when we’d get hit with something good, we’d soon hear something bad, and vice versa.
When we arrived, they put her on medicine geared to help the pressure system in her heart work more efficiently. This was all IV meds, and her IV was on its last legs. Because her veins are so small, getting a new IV was going to be difficult, so if this one didn’t hold up during the night, she was going to have to get an emergency femoral central line put in under sedatives which would be taxing on her sick heart.
While we were waiting for those medicines to kick in, we noticed a facial tic that Grace kept doing where her head and mouth would jerk. It looked like Tourette’s and totally freaked us out. We told the nurse a few times that we were noticing a weird tic and it was fairly frequent. She kept saying it was just her breathing catching up after a good cry (she said this without looking at her). It continued long after she calmed down and was happening 3 times/minute. When our night nurse came on, we showed it to her, and she got the docs. Finally, after my turn as pushy mom (I told them that if she had a grand mal seizure because the day nurse didn’t take my concerns seriously there would need to be some answers – don’t mess with a mama on no sleep), neurology was called to rule out seizures. They came in and did a video EEG setup so they could watch her actually do the twitches while they watched her brain activity simultaneously. The setup of this was much more than we thought. It took about an hour to glue 26 probes that were set with a compressed air gun. Seriously. She was so strong during it – we don’t know how she did it.
Sunday night was a stressful wait-and-see to find out if she was having seizures or any abnormal brain activity and to see if her IV would last. At 3 in the morning, we found out that they were NOT seizures but that her IV did stop working. They decided to give a foot IV one more shot before doing the central line. There were not high hopes for this considering no one has been able to even draw blood from anywhere but her femoral vein. But the Sunday middle-of-the-night IV nurse did it. She was taken aback when sleep deprived crazy mom hugged her, but she accepted it happily.
This morning when Grace woke up, she was looking better. She was less puffy and had become pinker. Her eyes are clearer and she seemed so much more comfortable. Her tic was virtually gone.
During rounds, they decided that the tic was likely from morphine withdrawal, since she had basically been overmedicated with it the day and a half prior. So in addition to recovering from open heart surgery, and new fluid in her lungs, she had to deal with withdrawal. We also learned that the reason for the fluid buildup in her lung is that the mitral valve, the valve between the top and bottom of the left side of the heart, is leaking significantly (we were told it was mild-moderate Saturday) and will likely require further surgery. They can't know for certain when this will be, if it will be. They are telling us it is unlikely that it will fix itself, and the amount of leakage is unlikely to sustain on medicine alone. While this is a common second surgery for kids with AV canal, if it does end up happening the normal timing for when this happens is usually teenage years. Grace’s anatomy is such that they think it could be earlier than that, and it’s possible that she’ll need to have a second operation within this next year. That’s right, they said it’s possible we could be back here in a few months.
This is a lot of information to handle in a short period of time. We’d like to believe we are stronger souls than we were on Friday, but we’re not sure we’re the ones leading by example. Our little Gracer is a champ, and while there are a lot of scary future unknowns, we are trying to focus on what is happening right now. And what is happening right now is good. She's eating better, her color and swelling are better and she seems more herself complete with morning chats with Big Bird and even the Graceland Smile.
I will post pictures that go along with this post separately so that I can get this news out to you. Thanks again for the continued love bombing, prayers and support. At one point last night, I literally felt a weight lift a little off my shoulders and I know that was all of you sharing the burden with me and Darren. Thank you,
I will post pictures that go along with this post separately so that I can get this news out to you. Thanks again for the continued love bombing, prayers and support. At one point last night, I literally felt a weight lift a little off my shoulders and I know that was all of you sharing the burden with me and Darren. Thank you,
Thanks for the update. We are praying hard. xo
ReplyDeleteOh Jenni! Do not lose heart. Do not lose hope. We know our God is an awesome God, and He will hold you up when you are unable to stand any longer. I know this from experience.
ReplyDeleteI also know that, while you do have to be the grouchy mama bear at moments to get someone to pay attention to what you know in your heart, that you also have to find a way to give little Grace completely into our Father's care. This was the biggest thing that I struggled with following Liddy's surgery. It's hard to acknowledge that you aren't in control. It's hard to accept that you can't fix this. I had to give myself a pep talk every single morning. lol
I continue to pray for you all. Especially baby Grace. You will have the strength to withstand anything life throws at you. There is simply no other option.
All of my love,
Heidi
xoxox, etc.
ReplyDeleteGrandpa R - Greetings from California.
ReplyDeleteWhat a relief to know God's gift of Grace had a turn for the better today and I pray that will continue.You and Darren are awesome parents.I look forward to hugging precious Grace in person soon.She will probably be talking by then with "grandpa" in her vocabulary.Grace, you are so prcious to me. I love you and Jesus loves you. Proverbs 3:5-6 for sure!
Jenni, Darren and sweet Baby Grace...We have been praying for you all this day...Hated to hear you have been going through so much, but, now we can breath again as I know your wonderful parents are, knowing that you have turned the corner again and on the road to recovery.....We continue to keep you all in prayer, just know that God love's you all and so do we....Kay & Jim
ReplyDeleteI'm still here from the love bomb last week- still keeping you and Grace close to my heart.
ReplyDeleteI'm a leftover from the love bomb too. :) Little Grace has captured my heart and I intend to stay around to watch her get better and better! She's in my thoughts.
ReplyDeleteXOXOXO always
ReplyDeletemuch love and prayers! xoxo
ReplyDeletepraying and asking friends on face book to lift you in prayer. Hugs xo
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad to hear that Grace is doing better today. Josh and I have been praying for her.
ReplyDeletexoxo
I am sorry to hear about all the ups and downs, but I'm glad to hear that right now things seem better. I continue to pray and check for updates often. You are all constantly on my mind and in my prayers. Hang in there and try to get some rest. Love you guys!
ReplyDeleteGrandma R says, "I am so glad you are finally on that smoother road. Boy, will you have lots of tales for Grace when she grows up! Praying that all three of you will rest better tonight."
ReplyDeleteWhen our little one had a heart procedure and a too-long stay in the NICU, I had a bible verse near her crib to cheer me on. I wanted to share it with you: "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9 Praying for a healthy strong heart for your precious little one and big strong faith for her parents.
ReplyDeleteGod bless,
Tara
We are following every day. Sending all our love to you guys. xoxoxoxo
ReplyDeleteJenni, Darren & Grace - How brave you all are! I am thinking of Grace and your family all of the time and will continue sending positive thoughts your way. Thanks for keeping us updated, it means a lot.
ReplyDeleteSharyn Levitt
Jenny and Darren, Never doubt the great job you are doing and don't apologize for standing up for your baby. Only her Maker knows her better than you two so just keep on speaking your mind. Please never lose hope and know that all of you are snuggled together in the palm of God's hand. The prayers from Beaumont Texas continue to flow and won't stop.
ReplyDelete