Saturday, December 21, 2013

Tales from Glassland

Our little superhero has a new identity, the Four-Eyed Fashionista.

Grace has nystagmus, which is a condition where the eyes shake slightly making it hard to focus on anything. When you have nystagmus, there is usually one position where the eyes are still, and you will contort your head and body to allow you to see the things you want to see with your eyes most still.  For Grace, this means that she tilts her head to the right and lifts her chin up to the left, which isn't good for balance or comfort.  


We're trying to help Grace's nystagmus with glasses first before potentially having surgery to "reset" her eye muscles.

We first tried the Miraflex specs because they are virtually indestructible.


But they also smoosh her little face...and kinda make her look like she should be playing center for the LA Lakers.

So we tried the Specs 4 Us which are designed specifically to fit the unique facial features of children with Down syndrome.

And little Miss Fancypants found her new fashion accessory.


We're trying our best to keep them on as much as possible.   Reading books, watching TV, and eating are no problem.   It's when she's playing by herself or with her sister that she's most likely to ditch the eyewear.


SPEC-tacular, darling.



11 comments:

  1. LOVELOVELOVE xoxoxoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. My, how stylish you are, Grace! You will be able to read more books again and again...Merry Christmas to you and Sadie! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's our little Sweets - she wears them well. xoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grandpa R. in CalifoniaDecember 21, 2013 at 7:08 PM

    God's gift of Grace: You are adorable! Grandpa R. loves you. I am blessed to be your grandpa. Philippians 1:3 for sure! "I thank my God upon every remembrance of you."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grace, you look fab...in everything your wear or put on....I love your style....I pray that this will be a great benefit to your life in every thing you do....Merry Christmas to YOU, Sadie and your Mom & Dad,

    ReplyDelete
  6. She looks so adorable.
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Grace you wear them so well - I know your mantra is accessorize, accessorize, accessorize! Project runway, here you come! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Every addition makes God's Grace more adorable!
    xoxoxoxo, aunt Dee

    ReplyDelete
  9. She looks so beautiful and happy!
    Aimee :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG, these pics are so delicious! Grace you are the ultimate fashionista. I love your STYLE! oh, and I love YOU. xooxox
    (Love, Aunt Vossie)

    ReplyDelete