Being a parent of a child with Down syndrome can come with a number of potential worries. Medical issues, financial issues, independence issues....
Somehow with Grace, these aren't my worries.
Don't get me wrong.
If I could take away her medical struggles - past, present and future - I'd do it in a heartbeat. But these medical things aren't a true worry with me. Sure, there are moments, but they are way outnumbered by the moments of trust in Grace's strength and resiliency.
If I could take away her frustrations in trying to accomplish something that is easily done by others her age I would. But these frustrations have shaped her ever-growing tenacity, and she continues to show everyone that independence in life is totally within her reach.
My biggest worry?
How people will treat her. I dread middle school for her.
All parents want to protect their children from heartache. But knowing in advance that there will be times Grace will be picked on, dismissed, laughed at and misunderstood because of her disability....that kills me.
This weekend was my first glimpse of it. We were at a playground near my parents and as we were walking up toward the slide, a boy around 7 or 8 said loudly "Dad, what is WRONG with that person?!" after Grace had smiled, waved and said hi, and reached out to grab his hand. It hit me harder than I expected. Now, it could have just been that her stylish dress was different than what he was used to at the playground. Or her friendliness. But the tone and look of disgust in his face told me differently.
Thankfully it was quickly redeemed by a great dad who chose to teach his child by saying that wasn't a nice thing to say, that everyone is different including him, and that there was NOTHING wrong with her. Then high-fived Grace. Hope restored.
We've been fortunate to not have been exposed to this at all. Perhaps it's living in New York City, where on a typical commute to work you might see a fake Elmo holding his Elmo head in his arms in the subway while texting, or a naked cowboy playing guitar, or people of all races, or people speaking different languages, or two people of the same sex holding hands. Here in NYC, ironically, we've been sheltered by being surrounded by so many people who are different.
Recently at our local playground, Grace "won" a contest held by 3 8-year old girls who rewarded her with a weed and a feather. Their contest involved giving them your name and being interested in their contest. Grace tried to hug one of them so she was a shoe-in. They yelled her name across the playground. "The winner is Grace! The winner is Grace!" The next visit a little girl followed Grace around and imitated everything she did.
I know the good will outshine the bad for Grace, and I trust we can teach her self worth so that these things don't affect her as much as they do me. I guess in the end it will be Grace teaching me.


You are right, Jenni. Grace will teach you.
ReplyDeletexoxoxoxoxoxo, Aunt Dee
Jenni, Grace has been blessed with the greatest parents that a girl could ask for and needs (she) will learn with LOVE how to handle the ways of this world.....it can be cruel. But she, like I said is blessed and she is loved...Am praying for you all as LOVE will outshine all the BAD.. xoxoxo K&J
ReplyDeleteI worry about middle school too for both Ben and Colin. One of the reasons why we moved was so that Ben would never have to switch schools. I want Ben to grow up with the same kids from day 1 so that when they are in middle school they will know him, and hopefully respect him. Ben's pediatrician (who has an adult son with Ds) said that her son's childhood friends ended up being the star football players so her son had a great middle/high school experience because they all loved him already!
ReplyDeleteI am impressed with that dad taking a moment to teach his son about differences:)
This post made me tear up:( My daughter has CP- She graduated from HS in June. Oh how I remember how mean kids in school can be. The way the Dad at the park reacted restored my faith in humanity! Rock on Grace;)
ReplyDeleteHey Jennie...I've been reading your blog for a long time...and I just gotta say, you know Grace will have people tease and be mean to her in middle school just like you and I both did, because she's different and sometimes despite that she's different. But I think you guys are going to build her up with the solid support and love that all kids need to rise above that stuff. She will be okay! And I love seeing what's shaking with you guys. I work in Milwaukee with kids with disabilities of all kinds and all ages.
ReplyDeleteugh. that heart crushing feeling. oh, I am not looking forward to it.
ReplyDeleteJenni and Darren - as you know, each one of us are different and wonderfully made. It is on the inside that counts - so many people judge us by the outside. Grace has both - she glows on the outside and it comes from within. Both of you parents give your girls great support and love. You also have great family support surrounding you. What more can you ask for? Grace will be a bright shining star in this world as she grows up - to know her is to love her! We love you!
ReplyDeleteI couldn't agree with Grandma R. more. Jenni, as I was reading your blog, immediately an old song popped into my head. God has a way of doing that with me often. Some of the words are "He didn't bring us this far to leave us ... He didn't teach us to swim to let us drown . . ." Don't you see it? Our Precious Amazing Gracie Grace is ALL HIS and He is going to be with her all the way. He also is so BIG that there is enough of Him to stay right beside you too, helping you when you have to experience the cruelties that may touch your baby. Yet, with God's help, you and Darren and the rest of the lovers of Grace are working to equip Grace with all that she will need to face this old world. Heck, it is not always easy for me and although I may not have DS, I do have my differences. As a teacher of 30+ years, I continue to work hard to teach about differences and how God could have made us all the same if He had wanted to, but it sure would have been boring. Educating people is what it is all about and I for one, will continue to do all that I can to let the world know just how PRECIOUS the Gracers of this world really are!!
ReplyDeleteOn a side note, I just heard tonight that you guys are coming to California in April. What a wonderful day it will be when I finally get to meet my Precious Amazing Gracie Grace! Can't wait!!
This post just has me bawling...
ReplyDeleteOf course Grace will teach you~ such a precious lesson too. Grace is teaching ALL of us.
I, too, am so proud of that Dad at the playground. Thankfully that young boy will learn and maybe, just maybe, he will be strong enough to teach his peers what Grace initiated the teachings of...
I love you, Grace! You are strong, resilient, and brave, but also the sweetest and most tender-hearted little one I've ever met! My kids are so lucky to have you for a playmate.
<3 Aunt Vossie