October is not only Down Syndrome Awareness month, but also Breast Cancer Awareness month. It's also What-Happens-When-You-Don't-Get-Enough-Sleep Awareness month in our household. But I digress...
Earlier this year I lost my amazing Godmother to breast cancer. My Aunt Janet never got to meet Grace here on earth, but I can't help thinking that their souls crossed on some other plane prior to Grace's arrival. You see, my Aunt Janet was a fighter. She chose to be happy when it would have been so easy to be sad and she chose to live life without fear. She faced A LOT of tough medical challenges with complete elegance. And each time I see how beautifully Grace handles the cards she's been dealt, I can't help thinking that my aunt is right there alongside her, smiling proudly at her grand-niece. My Aunt Janet was also ornery. She always had a twinkle in her eye that promised a little adventure and a little naughty. Again, I have a feeling that she is proud of her little protege, who often sports a similar twinkle. My aunt loved angels, and knew her guardian angel well. I often notice Grace staring intently, but with nothing of obvious interest in her sightline. I like to think she is seeing her guardians, whether it be angels or the spirit of a great aunt giving a little nod of encouragement. I can only hope that as Grace grows up, she continues to resemble my godmother.
In honor of Aunt Janet and the many others whose lives were cut short by breast cancer, Grace will be sporting pink within her ensemble as often as possible this month. I invite you to join in in the pink-fest, or perhaps you have the time or funds to support the Susan G Komen organization.


This is the BEST! Well done, Jen. I love this tribute to your Aunt Janet. I will honor her too in my ZUMBA Cruise for the Cause!!! Grace surely will also sport Aunt Janet's dancing abilities-- one day Grace will dance with Grampa to carry on your Aunt Janet's legend! :) Quite beautiful in your pink get-up, Grace! We love you, sweetheart.
ReplyDeletexo Familia Duran
Grace, Greetings from California. You are so beautiful in your pink clothes. I am also a cancer survivor so thanks for wearing pink. I love you.
ReplyDeleteDear Grace, Thanks for supporting the cause! As a survivor I appreciate, and think your tribute to Great Aunt Janet is awesome. LOVE your pink outfits, keep up the good work!!!
ReplyDeleteI spent many years working directly with the SGK RFTC in Colorado Springs, and I get very excited when October rolls around. It's awesome to see so much support for such a worthy cause. Gracie truly wins the prize for best pink attire for the month! Way to support Komen, Gracie! And thanks for the tribute to Aunt Janet. She sounds like an amazing guardian angel for little Grace.
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful tribute to my mom. We have no doubt she is watching over you, Darren, and Grace. xoxoxoxoxoxox
ReplyDelete