Grace has been moving right along in the world of solid foods. We now offer an a la carte menu of rice cereal, avocados, apples, pears, sweet potatoes or, if you're the gambling (and patient) type, sweet peas...and we are excitedly awaiting the addition of winter squash and bananas this week.
We're grateful that she's getting the hang of this whole eating thing, but we're a little concerned about her etiquette. Her physical therapist helped us create a snug seating setup in her car seat so that she is fully supported and doesn't have to exert any other effort other than the energy required to eat. The Gracer laughs at this support and prefers eating while doing a V sit-up.
She now has learned to open her mouth as the spoon comes anywhere in her zip code, which we are immensely proud of, but she doesn't do this halfway. It's a full opening and with complete tongue protrusion, with total view of the last three bites slowly making their way to the back of her throat.
She gets most of the food in, but we do have the occasional spillage, especially the rice cereal, which she enjoys combining with practicing her raspberries (picture a volcano with mashed potato lava).
And humility? Not a chance. A little praise is met with a huge, dribbling smile. This one loves the compliments.
Does anyone know of a good Finishing School for this age group?




Yay, Grace!!! What a great eater. Aunt Vossie is so proud of you! I must come over and catch some of those smiles on film SOON. I love you and think of you so much.... sending BESOS.
ReplyDeletexoxoxo
WOW...she's doing so well. Our little Emmie doesn't like the plain cereal either, so I just add it to other things to make them thicker. I found that if things aren't thick enough she won't eat them....strange bug I got:) Try thickening Grace's food and see what she does.
ReplyDeleteShe's a beauty!
ReplyDeleteYum. yum. Grace does like to eat and it is so easy to feed her. It is hard to keep her face clean when feeding her, but that is what bibs and washcloths are for. She is enrolled in the best finishing school of all time - D&J Academy. What a great job both of you are doing!
ReplyDeleteCUTEST THING EVER!!!!
ReplyDeleteHow can you not smile when you look at her beautiful face (even when it is filled with food). Love you xoxolisa
ReplyDeleteOur girls loved to laugh as they gobbled oatmeal mixed with yogurt...cracked me up every time! Grace is beautiful even with food all over the place!
ReplyDeleteGrace, our local grocer had a great buy on avacadoes today. I bought a big bunch and just ate one in your honor! I love Mom and Dad's blog. I'm addicted. Go, Go Grace....Kathy Harrison
ReplyDelete