As parents who are about to undergo the scariest few hours of their lives, we got a lot of answers today on what to expect when Grace undergoes heart surgery on Tuesday.
Grace went through the pre-operation production line today...weight, length, blood pressure, etc. All was going fine until two different technicians tried to draw blood from her. No one likes to get stuck with needles, especially when there's a stranger moving the needle around trying to find a vein. Grace wailed in daddy's arm, with her tear-filled baby blues breaking his heart, wondering why he couldn't save her. They finally had to bring in the chief of anesthesiology to find one of Grace's main veins in her thigh. Grace took that one like a champ, somehow knowing she was in the care of a pro.
So here's how things are going down tomorrow. We have to arrive at the hospital at 9am, when we will meet with the anesthesia team for about 20 minutes. Then they will take Grace (which will be the hardest moment in any of this) as the surgeon comes out to talk to us. He will explain the procedure, which one of his assistant's briefed us on today, while Grace is being put under. She will wear a mask initially to put her out, so she will not feel anything that happens to her after that.
The whole procedure is expected to take about 3 and a half hours and we're told we will be getting hourly updates during it. We both feel better after today's visit, especially seeing how quickly Grace bounced back after the many needle sticks, with her purple bandages of honor on her arm and leg and her toothless grin flashing.
As Grace lies in her pack and play tonight, we are glad she does not have to be burdened with any of the worries of tomorrow. To her, it's just another Tuesday. To her, it's just another adventure with the two people she trusts her life with.

Xoxoxoxo. Love you all so much.
ReplyDeleteDarren, Karen has been keeping us informed about you and your family. She sent this blog this morning telling us about the scheduled surgery tomorrow. What a darling and happy looking little girl. Please know that our prayers are with you and Grace and the doctor.
ReplyDeleteJohn and Leilani Horsfall
Big hugs, chain-kisses and tons of love and prayers!
ReplyDeleteHey D, as you and Jenni sit and wait tomorrow just remember you are not alone, you are surrounded by all of the people who love you all and Grace and all of their prayers, and all of the angels in heaven,and the big cheese too . It is not going to be an easy day, but it will be an important one for all of us....Grace is a warrior and a champion and she can do this, and so can you.... Keep the faith,I believe in all of you!
ReplyDeletelove A.J.
All of our hearts and prayers are with you Grace.
ReplyDeletexoxo
I understand full well how very difficult it will be to sleep tonight. John and I slept in shifts and simply watched Lydia sleep. And I also know exactly how hard it will be to hand her over, then wait. The updates were a God-send. I don't think that I could have sat there the entire time without knowing what was going on. We lived the day hour to hour. I'm a firm believer that's the way to get through.
ReplyDeleteMy prayers are with you all tomorrow. Please let me know if you need anything...even if it's someone to talk to who has just been through it all!
Much love to you! Heidi
Good luck tomorrow!
ReplyDeleteWe love you, Grace. Your strength and courage amaze us!
ReplyDelete-- Adorable Anne & Sweet Sophie
Grace, you've got an endless stream of thoughts and prayers coming from the Subcontinent. We know that you are in good hands, and that your life will be better after the procedure. Good Luck!
ReplyDeleteCharlie, Erin, and Wesley
New follower here. I will be praying for your family tomorrow and for your beautiful baby girl. God bless you all!!
ReplyDeleteGrandma R says, "I am thinking of your little heart as it is being repaired tomorrow. You have touched many of our hearts deeply. I can't wait to hold, hug and kiss you. I am counting the days until that happens. Our prayers are with you, Mommy and Daddy, and the doctors and nurses as they take care of you."
ReplyDeleteWe are praying, and will be especially mindful of you all tomorrow. Sending our love, Kaelin, Mark & boys
ReplyDeletePrayers and love are coming from Louisville for Grace, her family and the medical staff.
ReplyDeletexo John and Peggy
Prayers & good thoughts coming your way from St. Louis. I asked the Carmelites to get in on the action too! They're really good at this stuff. We will all be thinking of you here.
ReplyDeleteLove from all the Schmanks.
Hi, sweeties. Ya'll don't know me but I am Kaelin's Sis-in-law in the south. I fell in love with sweet Gracie (Grace) the minute I peeked at your blog. She is beautiful and I can't imagine what your hearts are feeling as you prepare to do what no new parent wants ever imagine--to give her over to doctors as they do things that any mommy and daddy would want to save their precious child from. Please know I will be praying for you tomorrow from the depths of a parent's heart. As I type this, 2 Bible verses are ringing in my ears...
ReplyDelete"My flesh and my heart may fail, But God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalm 73:26
"The LORD your God in your midst, The Mighty One, will save; He will rejoice over you with gladness, He will quiet you with His love, He will rejoice over you with singing.” Zeph 3:17
I pray that the Lord will be the strength of both your and Grace's heart tomorrow (and forevermore) and that He will quiet each of you with His love. God bless your sweet family. xoxoxo
Sweet Grace, we will be holding you in prayer through out your procedure & recovery...you are a brave little girl. Daddy & Mommy we also will be praying for you and the attending medical staff. we know God will be in attendance guiding the Surgery. God Bless you sweet Grace and your family...oxoxox Kay & Jim
ReplyDeletePrecious Gracie Grace,
ReplyDeleteMommy and daddy won't let you down. Of that you can be assured. Your Heavenly Father won't let the three of you down. Of that you can also be assured. Can't wait to start seeing you in your new, fancy hospital glamour accessories. By then you'll be on the uphill swing.
We California two will be on New York time in our praying tomorrow. Now let's have a five way hug and squeeze. We love you all!
"Through it all, through it all
I've learned to trust in Jesus,
I've learned to trust in God.
Through it all, through it all,
I've learned to depend upon His word."
TRUSTING and DEPENDING right along with many, many others.
Much love!
As a fellow mom who was in your shoes just eight months ago, my prayers are with you this morning. And with sweet Grace, and the surgeons hands. Sending comforting thoughts your way.
ReplyDeleteI know what you are feeling today - I was there in June. I am praying my heart out today for all of yours! Grace is being lifted up by so many! Many prayers for a swift, but complete correction & that you will be united with her very soon!!
ReplyDeleteMy thoughts and prayers are with you! May God guide the surgeons hands and be their minds so that they may focus only your sweet girls' heart. She is a heart warrior, like our daughter and so many others, soon she will be stronger than you ever thought imaginable!
ReplyDeleteLifting you up in prayer,
T
I found you through my cousin Janie's blog, and I want you to know I went to the Chapel this morning and said prayers for your girl and am holding you in my thoughts this day.
ReplyDeleteBig Hugs...
C.A.
Praying for Grace and your family.
ReplyDeleteOur little Ben had heart surgery in May so we understand how you are feeling. Our prayers our with your family!
ReplyDeleteWe are with you, Jen, Darren, and Sweet Baby Grace!!! We are praying for the surgical team, and trust in the strength of Grace's Spirit to bring them all through this with great success. God bless you!!!
ReplyDeletePraying for all of you. May you find the strength, comfort and healing that only God can provide.
ReplyDeletelc and jace's nana cam
We will be praying for all of you! HUGS...
ReplyDeleteBaby Grace, if I could do it for you, I would.
ReplyDeleteI love you, Aunt Dee